Purple Haven Definition for Caregivers
Dining out, shopping or going to the bank are excursions most people take for granted, but these “routine” trips can be challenging for you, a caregiver when bringing your family member with Alzheimer’s disease or dementia with you. Alzheimer’s Family Services of Greater Beaufort (AFSGB) is changing that.
The Purple Haven Project will train and educate staff at northern Beaufort County restaurants and businesses on how to interact with a person with dementia. By alleviating some of the stress involved when caregivers bring their family members to these establishments, AFSGB aims to make it easier for them to get out into the community.
Staff at participating establishments will learn tips on how to interact with your family member who has Alzheimer’s disease, making you feel comfortable while out in the community.
Businesses that complete the training will receive a window decal indicating they are a Purple Haven establishment. AFSGB will provide you with cards to hand to restaurant hostesses, bank tellers and retail store clerks alerting them that someone with you is living with Alzheimer’s disease. A list of Purple Haven establishments can be found here on our website. Be sure to look for the Purple Haven logo decal in the window of local establishments to know you are going to a place that will treat you and your family member with dignity and respect. Patience, understanding or assistance from an employee can make a big difference in the outcome of an outing. These simple actions are powerful opportunities to create more good memories. This project is funded in part by the Alzheimer’s Foundation of America.
Benefits of Participating in the Purple Haven Project
- Recognition as a Purple Haven Establishment will encourage caregivers to patronize your establishment
- Help eliminate stressful and challenging situations for your patrons as well as your staff
- Set your establishment apart as a pro-active member of the community who recognized the specific needs of caregivers of persons with Alzheimer’s disease
There are an estimated 3,500 cases of Alzheimer’s disease in Beaufort County. These persons are our friends, neighbors and maybe even family members.
The stress and challenges of being a caregiver for a person with Alzheimer’s disease are overwhelming. For these caregivers, the simple pleasure of enjoying a meal out at a restaurant, relaxing at a hair salon or barber shop or even simply going to the bank or a retail store with their family member, can sometimes be nothing short of a nightmare for them. The Purple Haven Project educates staff members at local establishments with appropriate ways of interacting with persons with Alzheimer’s disease, helping to create a more enjoyable situation for caregivers and your staff.
Become a Purple Haven establishment and help these friends, neighbors and family members have the opportunity to create more memories.
How to Participate in the Purple Haven Project
- Set aside 45 minutes of time for training for selected staff members
- Arrange a time and place for a member of our staff to meet with those selected members of your staff
- Display provided guidelines for staff in an appropriate location for your staff to review
- Instruct staff to acknowledge presentation of Alzheimer’s companion card from caregiver
- Display Logo in your store front window to let the community recognize you as a Purple Haven
Indicate on your website that you partner with AFSGB as a Purple Haven Establishment.